For Immediate Release:
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
NAPE to Host Over 450 Delegates at Biennial Convention
ST. JOHN’S, NL – The Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees (NAPE) will be holding its 21st Biennial Convention at the Sheraton Hotel in St. John’s this week.
Beginning on Thursday, October 22, the three-day convention will set the direction for the union, which represents over 25,000 public and private sector workers across Newfoundland and Labrador.
“Our Convention serves as an important opportunity for NAPE activists from across the province to come together to develop policy, hold elections, hear from guest speakers, and lay out a strategy for the union’s efforts for the next two years,” said NAPE President Jerry Earle. “We are also heading into a provincial election so we are focusing on providing our delegates with the tools and information they need to go back and inform our members about issues important to them, including where the political party leaders stand on key matters.”
Each leader will provide remarks and then be asked four questions on issues important to members of NAPE and the province as a whole.
The following sessions are open to the media:
- President Jerry Earle’s Address: Thursday, October 22 at 9:30 a.m.
- James Clancy, President of the National Union of Public and General Employees (NUPGE) – Thursday, October 22 at 1:45 p.m.
- Secretary-Treasurer Bert Blundon’s Address: Friday, October 23 at 9:00 a.m.
- Diana Gibson, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives: Privatization and Public Private Partnerships – Friday, October 23 at 3:00 p.m.
Provincial Party Leaders
- Earle McCurdy, Leader of the NL NDP: Thursday, October 22 at 11:00 a.m.
- Dwight Ball, Leader of the NL Liberal Party: Friday, October 23 at 10:45 a.m.
- Premier Paul Davis, Leader of the NL PC Party: Friday, October 23 at 2:00 p.m.
– 30 –
For further information, please contact:
Keith Dunne, NAPE Campaigns and Communications Coordinator
(phone) 709.570.2501 (cell) 709.631.9737 (email) email@example.com