NAPE JOB POSTING
BUILDING MAINTENANCE PERSON
LOCATION: ST. JOHN’S
Reporting to the Manager of Operations, the Building Maintenance Person serves to provide skilled and semi-skilled work in the daily maintenance of the St. John’s facility and its grounds. Such work includes but is not limited to preventative maintenance, electrical, plumbing, mechanical trades work and janitorial services. This position is integral to the effective and efficient operation of the Organization and interacts on a daily basis with Staff, Members and Employers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures adherence to building safety, fire regulations and applicable occupational health and safety legislation.
- Maintains and cleans facilities, equipment and the environment using proper methods and techniques.
- Maintains an up-to-date inventory of on-site equipment.
- Identifies and troubleshoots maintenance issues and in conjunction with any outside support services when needed (for such issues as: snow clearing, garbage removal, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and mechanical ).
- Handles emergency requests for cleaning and maintenance services.
- Manual snow removal and de-icing of walkways using machinery and hand tools.
- Maintains grounds and cuts lawns.
- Facilitates Location Inspections to ensure all health and safety regulations are adhered to, ensure equipment is operational and compliant with expiration dates ( ie: fire extinguishers, AED, etc.).
- Manages the routine upkeep of outdoor areas, building exteriors and parking lots.
- Monitors, distributes and ensures the adequacy of supplies, ie: cleaning, HVAC, Water Filters, etc.
- Conducts and oversees construction and repair work.
- Provides set-up and takedown of furniture and equipment for in-house meetings, Board of Director’s meetings and conventions, news conferences, etc.
- Communicates and reports to supervisors on the maintenance status of equipment and facilities.
- Secures the building
- Retrieves supplies, equipment, subpoenas, mass mail-outs and other courier work as needed. Responsible for the delivery of deposits and other confidential and critical pieces of correspondence to banking institutions.
The Building Maintenance Person must have good general building maintenance skills to succeed in this role.
Some of the required skills, qualifications and experience would include:
- Minimum of two years of experience working as a Maintenance Person or a similar role.
- High School Diploma or GED, supplemented with a certification in building maintenance and /or facilities management from an accredited educational institution.
- Experience with mechanical, electrical, HVAC, carpentry, electrical and plumbing systems.
- A demonstrated knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, including associated regulations, especially as they pertain to the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this position which include lifting, standing, bending and reaching among other movements that require an adequate level of physical fitness.
- Strong problem-solving skills to troubleshoot issues and maintain facility in high-quality condition.
- Ability to work both in a team environment and independently with a desire to help others.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality and privacy of the building occupants/coworkers.
- Excellent time management skills to complete a variety of tasks.
- Ability to interpret maintenance instructions, manuals, safety rules and other documents.
- Must provide a clear Certificate of Conduct.
- Must hold a valid Class 5 driver’s license and possess a reliable vehicle.
Comprehensive salary and benefits package in accordance with the Staff Collective Agreement.
NAPE is committed to employment equity and is actively seeking to ensure a representative workforce. We encourage applications from equity-seeking groups.
Please submit a letter of application and resume marked CONFIDENTIAL – JOB COMPETITION AND ADDRESSED TO:
Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public & Private Employees
P.O. Box 8100
St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
Fax: (709) 754-0726
CLOSING DATE: – October 8, 2021 – 4:30 p.m.
PREFERENCE WILL BE GIVEN TO NAPE MEMBERS